1 cup Canadian Mackellar Farms Edamame, cooked and shelled
¼ cup toasted walnuts or almonds
1 cup fresh basil or combination of herbs (cilantro and mint are also great)
¼ cup grated parmesan
1 clove fresh garlic
½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and pepper
Blend all ingredients together until a rough paste is formed.
Think Feta is just for Greek Salads? Think again. Feta can be served as an appetizer, side dish, and as an ingredient in salads, filled pies, and pastries. Its use in Greek food is almost as imperative as the use of olive oil. Feta may be used in most recipes that call for cheese and adds a delicious Mediterranean flare.
10 Ways to Use Feta
1) Use to stuff mushrooms or peppers. Add fresh herbs, olive oil and some breadcrumbs
2) Add to savory muffins or biscuits
3) Whipped and spread on crostini and topped with sundried tomatoes or marinated cherry tomatoes
4) Add to fruit salads. Pairs nicely with watermelon, grapes or cantaloupe, especially in the summer
5) Combine with any type of vegetable. Roast broccoli, red peppers and onion with some olive oil and garlic. Finish with crumbled feta.
6) Add to homemade bean dips
7) Grilled Feta Stuffed Figs. Cut a small pocket into each fig. Puree feta, honey, oregano and olive oil. Gently stuff each fig, pierce with a skewer and grill at 300F. YUM
8) Amazing in all egg dishes. Egg bakes, quiches, and frittatas
9) Spinach and feta pinwheels. Roll feta and spinach in phyllo dough and bake
10) Add to any kind of salad. Mixed greens, bean salads, grain salads and pasta salads
Lightened Up Deviled Eggs
8 large eggs, hard boiled and cooled **
1/2 cup prepared hummus
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp finely chopped chives
1 tsp finely chopped fresh dill
salt and pepper to taste
** The perfect hard boiled egg:
Fill a pot with cold water till it reaches about an inch above the eggs. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling allow to boil for 1-2 minutes, then turn off your element and allow the eggs to sit in the water for 10-15 min. After you have allowed them to sit for allotted time, carefully place them into a bowl of ice water to stop the egg from cooking.
Slice the eggs in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks and place them in a medium bowl or the bowl of a food processor. Add the hummus, mustard and lemon juice. Mash or process until blended and smooth. Add chives, dill, salt and pepper and pulse just until combined. Spoon the filling into the whites and top with fresh herbs. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated
1 cup Greek Yogurt
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp finely chopped fresh mint leaves
2 tsp finely chopped fresh dill
lemon juice to taste
1/4 tsp salt, to taste
Sprinkle grated cucumber with 1/2 tsp salt and let stand for 10 min, then squeeze out excess juice.
In a bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, garlic, mint, dill, lemon juice and salt. Stir until well combined. Refrigerate until serving.
Serve with toasted pita wedges and/or raw vegetables for dipping. Also makes a great topping for chicken, meat and fish dishes.
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1/2 -1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, minced
4 large sprigs fresh cilantro, leaves only, chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large Hass avocados
1 large tomato, seeded and finely chopped
Additional salt and pepper to taste
Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop the avocado out and into a bowl. Mash it with a fork and then add the chopped onion and jalapeno and continue to mash to your desired consistency. Stir in the cilantro, tomatoes, lime, and salt and pepper to taste.